Image courtesy of Graywind Store
When it comes to window treatments, there are a lot of options to choose from. Panel track blinds are a fairly new type of window treatment that is becoming increasingly popular due to their versatility, safety, and ease of installation.
What Are Panel Track Blinds?
Panel track, also known as panel glide or sliding panel blinds are window treatment that consists of several sliding panels that slide on a track. They can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, fabric, or vinyl, and they come in a variety of colors and styles to perfectly match your home’s décor.
Panel track blinds are a great choice for rooms that get a lot of sunlight, as they can help to block out both the light and heat. It’s worth noting, however, that although they are good for light filtering, for full darkness a specific blackout solution would be better.
Panel track blinds are known to be especially good for larger windows and sliding glass doors which are often more challenging to find a suitable window treatment for.
They work by a panel of material being attached to a sliding track system that usually has small wheels that run smoothly along the track from left to right.
The track itself is mounted above the window or door and the panels can be opened or closed with an attached wand. Consequently, panel track blinds are considered both child and pet safe.
Pros of Panel Track Blinds
- They are a very versatile window treatment, they offer a unique look, and they can be very effective at blocking out both light and heat.
- They are known for their ability to block out UV rays, making them a great choice for rooms where you want to protect your furniture from fading.
- They are an excellent alternative to vertical blinds and are especially good for sliding glass doors where you can slide each panel independently.
- They are easy to clean, simple dust or vacuum is normally enough but for more stubborn cleaning a simple spot clean with mild soap and water will normally do the trick.
- They are a safe choice for homes with pets or children. They are made from durable materials that are difficult to break or damage and are normally controlled with a wand rather than dangling cords.
- They offer a huge variety of choices – from materials to colors, patterns, and opacity.
- They come in a variety of sizes, so you can choose the number of panels that greatly fit your needs for the particular windows that you are looking to cover.
- Torn or damaged panels are easily and cheaply replaced
- Easy to install yourself – no need for professional installation
Cons of Panel Track Blinds
- They can be more expensive than other window treatment options such as vertical or Venetian blinds.
- The tracks that the blinds run along need to be cleaned regularly, this will help avoid the panels from getting stuck or not moving smoothly. It’s also important to make sure no obstructions fall onto the tracks as the tracks themselves, or the panel rollers can easily get damaged.
- The levels of transparency can be a problem, causing excess light and a lack of privacy in the room.
- Stacking the panels in front of one another when the blinds are open can block a large portion of the window unless the track itself runs longer than the window, in which case they can stack against the wall instead.
Fabric Panel Track Blinds – These are a great choice for bedrooms and living rooms as they offer a softer more luxurious feel. They are available in a wide range of colors and patterns to perfectly match your home’s décor.
Wooden Panel Track Blinds – Wooden panel track blinds are a great way to add a natural element to your home and come in a variety of grain appearances and wood tones.
Vinyl Panel Track Blinds – Vinyl panel track blinds are a great choice for rooms that need complete blackouts, such as bedrooms or home theaters.
Where To Use Panel Track Blinds/Shades
Large Windows and Sliding Patio Doors
Having large windows and bi-fold doors in your home is a very popular trend, however, finding the right window treatment to suit these types of windows can be difficult. Panel track blinds are an excellent solution for both, thanks to their versatility and modern look.
Panel track blinds can also be used effectively as dividers for rooms when you don’t want or can’t build walls. They’re simple, and modern and can be customized to the size you need.
Panel track blinds can be more expensive than other window treatment options however as always, it comes down to the specifics of what you choose – the materials, sizes, and brand.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Do Panel Track Blinds Look Like?
Panel track blinds look like extra large versions of the slats you see on vertical blinds. The sizes of the panels will vary depending on your needs as well as the number of panels.
Are Panel Track Blinds Expensive?
Panel track blinds are often more expensive than other types of window treatments such as Venetian and vertical blinds however, they have a higher level of versatility.
How Do You Clean Panel Track Blinds?
A great way to clean panel track blinds is to use a vacuum with a soft brush attachment. You can also dust panel track blinds with a microfiber cloth.
These simple yet stylish window coverings are a great option for all kinds of homes and offer a unique look compared to the typical vertical blind or Venetian.
They offer more light control than many blinds by blocking out light as well as some degree of heat. Panel track blinds offer an almost limitless combination of materials and styles available to match any existing design or style of room!