Venetian blinds are a popular window covering in the home, but sometimes you may need to remove them. Maybe you are moving and want to take them with you, or maybe they are no longer working and need to be replaced.
Whatever the reason, it is important to know how to remove Venetian blinds without damaging or breaking them.
In this article, we will discuss the best way to remove Venetian blinds from a window. We will talk about the tools you will need and the steps you should take. We will also warn you about some of the possible dangers, so that you can stay safe while doing it!
Why Do We Need To Remove Venetian Blinds?
There are a number of reasons why people need to remove or take down their blinds. Sometimes, it's because of a fault that's developed and needs fixing or perhaps you are looking to clean greasy Venetian blinds that absorbed smells and splashes in the kitchen or maybe it's time for a new window covering altogether.
What Tools Will I Need To Take Down The Blinds?
The first thing you need to do is gather the tools you will need.
You may also need a small step ladder so you can avoid too much stretching.
How To Remove Venetian Blind - Step By Step
- Using the blinds drawstring gently pull it down and towards you until the slats all raise to the top and lock into place. Once they are all at the top and they feel locked, you can let go of the drawstring.
- Using your screwdriver, gently lift up the front of the bracket at either end of the blind. You will need to wedge your screwdriver behind the clip at each side to release it. Be careful not to damage the brackets or injure yourself!
- With the covers of the brackets now lifted, remove the entire blind from the window by gently sliding and pulling it towards you. Be careful, as some of the wooden and PVC blinds can be quite heavy. If your blinds are stuck, do not force them. This can damage the blinds and the window. Instead, try gently wiggling them until they come loose. Once you have removed the blinds, you can put them away or dispose of them as you see fit.
- Using a Philips screwdriver or drill bit unscrew each of the screws holding the brackets to the wall. Be careful not to drop the brackets as this could break them or damage your window sills.
5. If you are not putting the blinds back up, you can use pliers to remove any plugs that are in the walls and dispose of them. You may also want to fill the holes ready for redecorating.
Dangers of Taking Down Blinds/Shades
I realize that taking down a Venetian blind doesn't sound like the most hazardous job in the world but it's actually not that hard to injure yourself in the process.
- Stretching - As mentioned above, try to not stand on the floor and reach up to take down the blind. You have a good chance of pulling a muscle in your back or neck.
- Falling - If you do find yourself stretching, try using a small step ladder to get yourself at an appropriate height, just be careful where you put your feet and don't fall off the ladder!
- Stabbing or cutting yourself - When prizing open the bracket covers if could be easy to slip and stab your hand or arm with the screwdriver. Take extra care when doing this step.
- Poking your eye out - This one is more common than you think! When the slats are all the way at the top, they can fall quickly and with a lot of force. Be sure to keep your fingers and hands away from the path of the falling slats.
Now that you know how to remove Venetian blinds from a window, you can do it anytime you need to. Just be sure to follow the steps we have outlined above and be careful not to damage the blinds or the window. With a little bit of care, you can remove your blinds quickly and easily!
Q: I can’t seem to get my blinds unstuck, what should I do?
A: If your blinds are stuck, do not force them. This can damage the blinds and the window. Instead, try gently wiggling them until they come loose.
Q: Can I remove the brackets and reuse them?
A: Yes, you can remove the brackets and reuse them. Just be sure to remove all of the screws
Q: What should I do with my old blinds?
A: You can put them away or dispose of them as you see fit.
Q: I don’t have a drill, can I remove the screws with a screwdriver?
A: Yes, you can remove the screws with a screwdriver. Just be sure to remove all of the screws.
Q: Do I need to remove the plugs from the wall?
A: No, you don't need to remove the plugs from the wall. You can leave them there unless you are not putting them back up. Then, you may want to prepare the wall for painting/decorating.
Q: If my brackets are broken can I get replacements?
A: Yes, you can get replacement brackets from your local hardware store. Just be sure to take the measurements of the brackets with you, so that you get the right size.
Q: Can I remove the blinds without taking off the screws?
A: No, you will need to remove all of the screws in order to remove the blinds.
Q: Is it hard to take down Venetian blinds?
A: No, it's not hard to take down Venetian blinds. Just be sure to follow the steps we have outlined and be careful not to damage the blinds or the window. With a little bit of care, you can remove your blinds quickly and easily!